Monday, April 19, 2010

But, all that

said, I still find myself getting apprehensive when I see all of the buzz about a riot grrrl revival and how "someone needs to be the next Bikini Kill" and "we need another Sassy magazine." I don't want "another Bikini Kill," I think Bikini Kill already did a pretty decent job of being Bikini Kill -- if they hadn't, people wouldn't still be listening to their albums. The Sassy staff already tried to make another Sassy. It was called Jane. Things didn't work out so hot. What I'm getting at here is that instead of seeking to recreate cultural products that exist in conjunction with a specific subculture and a singular moment in time is that we need to be looking at and working within the now.

...

While I understand the value in drawing both musical and political inspiration by looking backwards, I sometimes worry that by fixating so wholly and fervently on riot grrrl that we erase the women who were doing musical and political work before riot grrrl and who continue to do so in its wake. I feel like we do this even when it comes to original riot grrrls themselves. I mean, members of bands like Bikini Kill, Sleater Kinney, and Bratmobile have not stopped existing -- in fact, many of them are continuing to work on their own creative projects. Yet many people continue to fixate on what they were doing 15 years ago as opposed to what they are doing in the here and now. I also worry about the tacit assumption that all lady punks have a vested interest in the riot grrrl movement -- there are plenty of people out there who explicitly do not want to identify as riot grrrls and when we push their critiques to the margins in the hopes of "keeping it posi," we effectively engage in the same silencing of marginalized populations that some of the original riot grrrls engaged in.
here

No comments:

Post a Comment